Monday, March 20, 2017

Romans 12: 9-10
"Love sincerely. Hate evil. Hold onto what is good. Be devoted to each other like a loving family. Excel in showing respect for each other."

     Today we went to the outposts. The lifestyle of the people who live out there is even harder than the people of Ft.Liberté. There is no clinic, orphanage, or school within a ten mile radius so it requires them to walk or find a way to get where they need to go. While the doctors and nurses were providing medical help, we got to play with the kids. The children loved playing with the parachute we brought. During the heat of the day, I got to rest and hold a few babies. Unlike the U.S., mothers love to let you hold their babies. I think it gives them a sense of pride and relief. Holding these children gives me the desire to adopt even more than I already have. Even though the children have no clue who we are, where we are from, our why we are in their town, they still have the desire to be close to us and become our friends.
     Later on at the orphanage, I got to see my favorite little boy again, Cardy. As we were sitting under a tree laughing and playing, I remembered that I had some snacks in my bag. The first treat I brought out was honey roasted peanuts. I have never seen a boy so happy to have a bag of peanuts. He rubbed his belly and licked his lips while smiling and eating the peanuts. The next treat was a package of peanut butter crackers. I handed the package of six crackers to Cardy expecting him to eat them all as quickly as possible, but instead he gave one to two girls and slowly ate them making sure no one else needed any. When it got down to the last one, I assumed he would sit and enjoy it, but when he saw his brother walk in he ran over to him screaming his name. I saw his brother give it back to him as a way of saying "no, I want you to have it." but instead Cardy wrapped it up and made sure to save it for his brother later. The selflessness these children have for each other make me feel like the most selfish person in the world. They do not think of themselves, but for their siblings and friends. This reminds me of how God acted when he gave up His son Jesus to die in the cross for our sins. He didn't think of Himself when He knew that giving up His son would save others and be the ultimate sacrifice. I have seen more of Jesus through the kids in this country than I have ever seen in my life. The one thing that I think is absolutely amazing is the children's ability to love. As a child with no parents to love them, you would think that they would be standoffish, but it is quite the opposite. It showed me how natural the need to be loved is. A child does not need to have parents to know how to show love, it is a natural sense. God created all of us to love and to be loved and these kids are the prime example of what that means.
     Before dinner, a few of us decided to walk down to the fort and take a swim. We walked down with a few kids and once we got there the kids laughed at us as we jumped right in. Relaxing and floating along in the Caribbean made me appreciate the beauty of Haiti even more than I already do. The mountains and the lustrous trees we so beautiful it almost makes you feel like you're living a dream. As I sit here and think back on my day, I have an overwhelming feeling that I'm just not doing enough. Why are there still starving children? Why can't there be more hours in a day so that I can help more people? I have been praying about feeling this way, but I just don't know what more I can do to help. I feel like I'm not making enough of a difference and I want to do more. Tonight I pray to God that he can help me overcome this feeling and guide me through the rest of this trip.

2 comments:

  1. Read this prayer tonight and thought of all of you. Come Holy Spirit, I need you. Breath of God, fill me wholly and completely. Form and shape me into the person you want me to be. Lead me to do what you want me to do. Empower me and use me; speak to me and through me. Produce your fruit in me. Help me to listen to Your Voice above all other voices that clamor for my attention. Come Holy Spirit, I need You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done more in your 17 years than most people do in a ifetime. You are one person, making a difference. You make my heart swell with pride. I love you to the moon.
    Love,
    Momma❤

    ReplyDelete