Saturday, March 18, 2017

Coming together

Psalm 96:10
Say among the nations, "The Lord reigns! Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved; He will judge the people with equity."

     Today has been a day that opened my eyes. As a white American, I have never truly felt what it feels like to be the minority. Every place we walk, people are either taking pictures of us or staring in amazement that we are in their country. As a minority you feel like an outsider, you never feel like you truly belong. By reading this, most people would think "Why would I ever want to voluntarily become the minority in a country and be immediately be judged?". I might be the first to say, but I love getting the chance to see what it feels like to walk in the shoes of the minority. In the USA, if a small group of people do something terrorizing, their race will be questioned on their morals. What I feel like I am called to do here is change that. It starts with one person that decides to make a change. Before I flew out of the US, my mother and father told me "Do great things." Ever since, I have continually thought about that. If I can do great things, maybe it will start a chain reaction. Isn't that what God calls us to do? Start off by doing something small and then naturally bigger opportunities may arise. I am here to know Christ and make Him known. It all starts with one, and by starting with one, it will create a chain reaction and lead to greater things. Do great things.
     The next part of my day pushed my body to its limit. When I go to the orphanage, I usually just create relationships with the kids. This time God led me to another section of the orphanage that I thought was only for buff men. For a solid 30 minutes, I used an axe to bust up concrete to later create even ground so the children could play safer. If anyone knows me, my strength only comes from my legs (thanks soccer) and my upper body strength is almost non existent. Not thinking that I could even lift the axe, I stood in the sun and broke up as much concrete as my puny arms could take. Sometimes God may not call us to do the things we are comfortable with, but make us stronger in situations we did not expect.
     Later on, we went to the St.Joseph's festival. This festival is all about coming together as one country. Haitians that no longer live in the country come back to celebrate their heritage. Walking down the street I met a woman who was 100% Haitian blood, but also 100% New York/Switzerland raised. Both of her parents were from Haiti, but moved before she was born. She was born in New York, but raised in Switzerland. It really opened my eyes to the way we act as children of God. For a while we live our own lives in different parts of the world proclaiming Christ as our Lord, but when judgement day comes, we all come together as one and lift our eyes to Him.

2 comments:

  1. Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!
    Really enjoy reading your posts๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue to do great things baby! So very proud of you ❤

    ReplyDelete